Tuesday, June 16, 2009

There's No Place Like Home - Part 2

During my recent trip home to Texas, I just had to capture on film the "larger than life" attitude that most of its 20+ million residents exude on a daily basis.

Here's a few of my favorite quotes about The Lone Star State:

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here just as soon as I could." ~Texas bumper sticker

"Texas is neither southern nor western. Texas is Texas." ~Senator William Blakley

"If a man’s from Texas, he’ll tell you. If he’s not, why embarrass him by asking?" ~U.S. journalist John Gunther

And here's some pictures that really do sum up the phrase "everything's bigger here."

How's this for a Texas greeting? Not quite sure if she's advertising food or something else, but she sure is friendly!

Texans take their alma maters, football, and their big cars very seriously. Case in point.

Texans also take their food very seriously. And we don't mince words. This here is the "Big Ass Burger", as it appeared on the menu. My uncle ordered it and made no apologies for finishing it. If your appetite isn't quite as big, they do offer the "Half Ass Burger".

While I was home, we visited Bubba's Chicken Restaurant for some good ol' Southern grub. Everyone is served biscuits, buttered corn, green beans and mashed potatoes. You then get to pick your entree. We all ordered the sinful fried chicken and chicken fried steak. We were joined by Bubba himself, who is a permanent fixture at many of the larger tables. My cousin Carter cozied up to him and even shared a root beer float with this old timer.

I think Bubba wrote this sign that hung above our table.

And after all of our good eats, we retired to my mom's house to celebrate Laurie's birthday (again!) with a homemade cake and Blue Bell ice cream - a staple in every Texan's freezer. We couldn't find a number seven candle, so we had to improvise with seven single candles.

With so much good food resting in our bellies, it wasn't long before Laurie and her pup Charlie snuggled up for a late afternoon nap.

This is the Texas I know and love!
PK

2 comments:

Susan R. Opel said...

Love the bar rules, your caption to the first picture, and the improvised 7 - nice work, Ms. Yellow Rose.

Laurie Smith said...

First of all - it is Babe's chicken not Bubba's. Second of all - my arms look especially large in all of these pics. Please photoshop them.

kisses,

beef