Friday, September 5, 2008

We Are Family!


I just got back from one of the most beautiful places on earth. Idaho. Yep, I said I-D-A-H-O. I know what you're thinking - "potato country", right? Let me assure you, Idaho is so much more...

My family descended upon the little resort town of McCall for a long overdue family reunion over Labor Day weekend. Located 100 miles north of Boise, it's "happily situated" on the picturesque shore of Payette Lake and Payette National Forest.

Known for its outdoor recreation, my family has been coming to this little piece of heaven since 1989. My aunt and uncle own a condo here and graciously invite us up every few years to recharge our batteries and come together for some good ol' fashion family fun.

And what could be more fun than a game of chicken?

And nothing bonds a family together like a little competition. My cousins were all channeling Michael Phelps here. Check out the goggles!

Even my 10-year-old cousin Carter enjoyed getting a "lift" from his three older cousins Taylor, Tanner and Brooks.

Here's me and my sisters Holly and Laurie taking a dip.

My Dad and I even took the kayaks out for a little exercise.

But we also found time to chill. Here's Tanner's girlfriend Darlene, Brooks' wife Cristi and Laurie hanging out on the boat dock.

And of course food always plays an important role in any Smith-Dame reunion. (Especially since my cousins are training to take on Michael Phelps at the 2012 Olympics!)

Here's a cute picture of Tanner and Taylor Dame. Taylor is single, ladies!

Unfortunately by Sunday the cold weather blew in, but we enjoyed attending church together and then posing for this family picture. (Notice I'm missing a sister here. Holly was taking a nap and just couldn't be bothered.)

Even Lexus joined us for all the family fun. Here Brooks and Cristi are reviewing some basic commands she learned at puppy obedience school. "Sit, Lexus. Good dog!"

Probably the cutest thing to witness was the "bro-mance" that developed between Carter and Taylor. From four wheeling, to jet skiing to sharing a stack of pancakes, these boys were inseparable!

Even though we were missing a few family members, a good time was had by all. One of the highlights was having Brooks' wife Cristi (photographer extraordinaire) take a family picture and then some candids of me and my sisters. As soon as I get my hot little hands on them, I'll be sure to share them with you. Speaking of pictures, one of my favorite pictures was actually taken in McCall two years ago. Isn't the scenery just breathtaking?

If any of you are scouting locations for your next family reunion, I highly recommend McCall, Idaho. If I can survive two 7-hour car rides with a rambunctious 10-year-old and a even more rambunctious dog, you know it must be worth it. And if you're still convinced Idaho is just "potato country", you know what? It is, but it's so much more...

PK

6 comments:

Sherry Wright said...

What a beautiful family you have, looks like so much fun was had. Welcome to blogging. ;)

Brandy J. said...

I LOVE the blog!! Your family reunion looked like lots of fun and your writing is just as clever as always. Let the blogging begin! ~Brandy

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time, Kelly! Love the pictures!

susan opel said...

I just love family time and family pictures (and Taylor is a cutie - but I think a wee bit too yung for me!).

susan opel said...

Of course, I meant "young."

Megan said...

I da ho? More like you da ho! ;)

Looks like a good time was had by all. Great pictures!