Thursday, October 18, 2012

Best Frenemies


fren·e·my

  [fren-uh-mee] 
noun
A person or group that is friendly toward another because the relationship brings benefits, but harbors feelings of resentment or rivalry.


Nixon and Elise Dame. They've grown up quite a bit since we last saw them. Now 2 3/4 and 2 1/2 years old respectively, they're more than just friends...they're cousins. 

And while there's a very thin line between love and hate (especially when a prized toy is at stake), there's nothing like having a cousin to build forts with, sell lemonade in the summertime and tease incessantly. 

Nixon and Elise's dads are brothers and my cousins. This past summer these two cuties accompanied their moms to our annual Girls Retreat in McCall, Idaho. McCall is heaven on earth. I've written about it hereherehere and here

Since Nixon's mom Cristi and my sister Laurie are both talented photographers in their own right, I thought I would share the gorgeous fruit of their collective labors. (In fact, I'm not even sure where Cristi's camera began shooting and where Laurie's camera stopped.) Make sure you click on each image for a larger view.









These last two pictures are from my point-and-shoot camera, so they're not the same caliber, but I still love them.

In the first, I love their identical looks of wonder...like they're just comprehending what it means to behold a fleeting sunset. And in the second, I love the contrast of the dark head bent to the fair one. They may be vastly different, but they share the knowledge that they're more than just friends...

They're cousins.

~PK

No comments: