Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I *Heart* Gingham! (Not!)

My good friend and former co-worker (sniff) Megan Hoeppner totally outed me on her blog. But truth be told, I was going to fess up and come clean. Something this BIG cannot stay locked up. It must be told... It must be revealed... It must be purged!

So what's my little dark secret? Prepare yourself. It's not going to be pretty. It's actually very un-American. Are you ready? I... (deep breath) hate.... gingham. Yep, I said it. I hate gingham. I don't what it is, but there's just something about this pattern that totally makes me want to stick my tongue down my throat and yack all over it. Seriously.

What's even more ironic is gingham seems to be gaining popularity - at least in the paper crafting community. More and more submissions are dripping in bloody gingham. It's on paper, it's on ribbon, it's even on brads. My sweet brads! What has the world come to my friends?!

Well, I'll tell you. It all started with my monthly card group (may you rest in peace). We hadn't met in several months, so when it came for our final card swap, I owed three cards. Three cards x 10. You got it - 30 total. And it didn't help that I literally sat down to create said cards the night before. This is where I fell off the "I hate gingham wagon."

It was approaching 3 a.m. I was down to my last card. I knew I wanted to use this adorable cowgirl stamp. I kept pairing it with different patterned papers, but nothing seemed to click... until I tried it with the dreaded red/white gingham. And while I'm still not sure HOW gingham appeared in my stash, it actually saved my butt, so for that, I'm grateful!

Here's the final gingham masterpiece. While I won't be endorsing it anytime soon, perhaps I can at least keep my lunch down at our next submissions judging meeting.

And here's all three cards. I'm afraid the art direction of Paper Crafts' Stace Hasegawa has rubbed off on me. Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to show off my cake plate!

PK

8 comments:

Megan said...

I {heart} that you {heart} gingham, PK. Why? Because it makes for one stinkin' cute card.

Oh, and sorry about spilling the beans on my blog. I just found it too ironic to keep to myself. ;)

Giddy up!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, Kelly. Megan should have never outed you. I fear I may have to use gingham in your honor next time there's a call for submissions. Just kidding, kind of. ;) :) --teri

Kristie said...

I am totally feeling for you...it seems as though it's everywhere and I must come out and say I am not particularly fond of it either! I don't think I'd go so far as to say hate....but I have a bunch of gingham ribbon I received in a ribbon share and have never, ever used a single snip of it :) AND I am totally addicted to ribbon!!!!

sandee said...

Oh I am so glad you voiced this out loud. I too do not have a fondness for gingham. I have some paper that came in packs, so it snuck in but I rarely use it! I have to have a country theme...which usually means Dollywood pictures! lol

susan opel said...

You KNOW how I feel about gingham... :) I think that I'll wear my gingham shirt again tomorrow just for you!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you caved, Kelly! Haha I really miss submissions judgings and getting to hear everyone's little quirks about what they like and dislike - especially your gingham comments. Your cards look adorable by the way! :)

Alice said...

Hi Kelly! Happy WCMD to you! Maybe we'll get you to come around to gingham one of these days...remember when almost every card and layout had black & white gingham ribbon on it? I still have heaps of it in my stash just waiting for it to come back into style :)

Jenn said...

I feel your pain on the gingham. I am allergic to polka dots and they are EVERYWHERE!